Skip to main content

How to make AMAZING Sauerkraut for less than $2

Old-World Sauerkraut is easy to make and so good for your gut. Rather than boiling and seasoning cabbage to get a vinegar based limp cabbage slop, we're going to use fresh ingredients and let nature do the work. What results is a tangy, crisp, zero-calorie food that will impress your family and friends. Let's get started!


Step one: Chop one head of cabbage.

You can use green or red cabbage or a combination of the two. (Note: Red Cabbage turns everything a deep purple.) I recommend thin strips but you can make it as thin or thick as you like.

Step two: Gather your cabbage in a large bowl and add a tablespoon of salt.

Use any salt that doesn't have iodine. Himalayan pink salt, kosher salt, or sea salt all work well. Mix it up and walk away for 10-15 minutes.

Step Three: Start Smashin'

Use your clean hands, a potato masher, or something else to start pressing and breaking down the cabbage. Do this for a few minutes and then let it rest for a few minutes. Repeat until the mixture is wet and the cabbage is starting to soften a little.

Step Four: Pack and store

Start loading your cabbage and the briny juices into a jar (or two). Any jar will work but I suggest getting the half gallon wide mouth jars. These will come in handy. While you are at it, pick up the Eazy Fermenter lids. They are well worth the investment. I use mine all the time. The special lids release the building gasses along with the oxygen. This guarantees that mold will not grow. Set your jars out of direct sunlight at room temperature for around seven days.

Step Five: Taste and Refrigerate

After seven days or so, open up your jar and give it a taste. If it is how you like it move to the refrigerator. It will keep in there for up to a year. But seriously, you'll eat it up way before that.


Special note*
If you aren't using the easy fermenter lids or a similar product, you'll want to make sure all your cabbage is below the liquid. If some mold grows, no worries. Remove that layer and the rest is fine. Another note, if you are using regular lids, is that you'll want to crack it open to release some gasses every couple of days. Otherwise, the pressure might explode your jars. That would be sad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 items you need for your new obsession with Old Fashioneds

Almost two years ago a friend made me an "Old Fashioned" I had never had such a drink, and honestly the name out me off a bit. Two sips in and I was hooked. That smooth velvety vanilla combined with 100+ proof barrel aged goodness told me "yes, I am a bourbon man." The next time I was over I made my friend show me how to make my own. Since then, I've been through a number of bottles and brands. While I have my favorites, I love the complexity and variety. When it comes to bourbon and it's most famous cocktail, I found that while the bourbon is important so are the other details. If you have fallen in love with the Old Fashioned, here are a few items you'll want to order right away. Doing so will impress your friends, improve your drinks, and way up your bourbon game. Proper Glassware. It's true you can technically put your drink into any glass you have, but using an actual Old Fashioned Glass will enhance the entire experience. The larger mouth ge...